Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Heart Garland

Did you know that you can sew through paper using a sewing machine?  I had no idea.  You can totally sew through paper using a sewing machine.  LOVE THIS.  I saw this idea on one of my favorite blogs, Little Page Turners.  (The author reviews children's books, includes corresponding activities and, incidentally, is a friend of Trisha DY's!)  So, we began cutting and sewing hearts...

Sewn horizontally, no gap was left between each heart.  Just keep feeding them through your machine.

Sewn vertically.  This time I pulled the thread out a bit between each heart to leave just a little space.


The snowflakes hanging from the railing in our Winter Wonderland were also sewn together vertically.  So many possibilities with this technique!!

On Little Page Turners the author had her daughter cut out the hearts. This is such a great idea to work on those fine motor skills.  I think, however, that I will have to save that idea for a few years...my children simply do not have the stamina for the mass production of hearts that February requires.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you can sew through paper, too! Thanks for the idea for the hearts. I've been pondering what magical things I can do with my machine and paper... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April...magical things...I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete