Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bubble Wrap Letters

I never know whether to start with a picture of the final product, so that you know whether you want to even keep reading...or, if I should save the picture of the final product until the end to build the suspense.  Oh the dilemma.  Well, today, we'll start at the end.

Letter prints made using bubble wrap.  I liked how they turned out so much, we framed and hung them up.

And now, back to the beginning...

I laid a print-out of the letters underneath the bubble wrap and then traced the letters onto the bubble wrap using a marker.  You can see Abby's little hand popping bubbles.  Really...who can resist?


I then cut out the letters and taped them to the waxy side of freezer paper.

Let the painting begin. 




Each kid chose two colors of paint.  I was concerned that if we used too many colors we would end up with brown gloppy letters.



Get your letter nice and covered with paint...


...and then press a piece of paper onto the bubble wrap.  Thankfully, my husband and I named our children good bubble-wrap-letter names.  An "E" and an "A".  Nice symmetrical letters.  For a non-symmetrical letter, like an "R," for example, be careful.  I am writing this at 5:30 AM, so I can't even picture what you should do.  The bubble wrap letter should be drawn and cut in the reverse of the actual letter, right?  Right?  I am so confused and again, so thankful I had the foresight to name my children with symmetrically lettered names.  I hate to say it, but I guess you non-symmetrical people are on your own.



Some finished products:

 For the last set, we just pressed paper onto the bubble wrap letters in a random fashion, using up the paint that was there. 


And here's what happens to your "A" bubble wrapper while you are focused on your "E" bubble wrapper.  Ok, so clearly I knew it was happening since I documented the process with pictures. 


Back to the beginning.  I absolutely adore these!


So, if nothing else, let this be a lesson in choosing names for children.  Symmetry is key.



No comments:

Post a Comment