Sunday, February 6, 2011

Footprint Penguins

I love, and somewhat fear, waking up in the morning knowing that anything is possible for the day that lies ahead.  Today could be one of the best days of my childrens' lives.  Today we could make a memory that we will cherish for a lifetime.  Today could be one that I remember forever.  I am thankful for a gracious and sovereign God who knows what that day will hold as I lie in bed only wondering.  There is nothing that can happen to me that is out of God's care, His love, or will draw me out of His hands.  Whether the day brings joy or pain, I am His.  So, the day that we made Footprint Penguins, I had no idea when I woke up that this would be a day to remember.  More on this later... 

 Footprint Penguins

Eli is not what I would call a real crafty child.  I don't know if it's becuase he's a boy or becuase he's an Eli, but there are many things he would rather do than an art project.  For a child of just four years, he has been to craft stores way too many times in his life;  maybe that has something to do with it.  Anyways, when I offered him the chance to have his foot painted black he was quite enthusiastic.

Materials
  • Paper
  • Washable black paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Newspaper
  • Googly eyes
  • Orange paper triangles
Simply enough, paint your child's foot black, step on a piece of paper, glue on googly eyes and a beak, and you have a penguin.  You could also just trace your child's foot on black paper instead of the footprint.

Painting your foot black...now that's fun stuff.


A Mommy fork-life ride to the sink for a foot bath...also fun stuff.

And this is what God gave us on Footprint Penguin Day...Eli and I (Abby was napping) laughed and laughed.  It was really a moment of pure joy between a mother and son.   Simply put, we had fun.  After we finished and cleaned up he asked if he could do MY foot.  Now I ask you, how could anyone say NO to that face?  Eli was hysterically laughing watching me hop around on one foot and I was hysterically laughing because I have extremely ticklish feet.  What a great reminder to me to get down and dirty with my kids;  I don't do that enough. 

Thankfully, I had just painted my toes the previous night.  (And my legs were shaved...a nice bonus, and definitely not a guarantee during the winter.)
Abby's turn.

Getting the print.


Eli Feet

Abby Feet

This was a day to be thankful for an unexpected blessing of pure fun with my kids.  I am glad that God created feet, penguins, and a memory to cherish on nothing but a plain-old Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment